This is an analysis of the poem A Song In Time Of Revolution. 1860 that begins with:
THE HEART of the rulers is sick, and the high-priest covers his head:
For this is the song of the quick that is heard in the ears of the dead.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aa bb cc bb cc dd bb ee cc cc fX gg aa gg bb ff ff ff ff gg aa aaXaa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,5,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 0100100110111001 10001001101001001 011011011111011 101001001001001011 01101001001001101 011101110101011 01110100101001 01010110100101 11101101011111101 101001110101001001 1111100111101111 1010010011010001001 101001011101001 101001001101011011 1010010111110111 1110010111111001 11111011111111 111101111101001 111010110101011 111101001101001001 10101101011001011 10110100110101101 101001001011001101 1110100101111101 1100100101001001 101001011101001011 11100101001101001 10100100101011001 101001001111001011 1110010011111001 1010011011111011 11101001101001101 0101011001001001 111001001101001001 010101101011001 0101111001101001 010011101001101 001001101001001001 1010010100100101 0100111001001001 101011011001001011 1111101001011001 1011101101111001 011111100100111 0100111101101101 101001001101001001
- Amount of stanzas: 23
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 144
- Average number of words per stanza: 29
- Amount of lines: 46
- Average number of symbols per line: 71 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 14
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and, with, they, for, their, thou, wilt, in, it, where are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, they, wilt, for, where are repeated.
The author used the same words the, they, where at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Song In Time Of Revolution. 1860;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.