This is an analysis of the poem The Old Grey Squirrel that begins with:
A great while ago there was a schoolboy
who lived in a cottage by the sea,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcbdeXe XfcfXbgbahXh hfcffbeb hbgbdbeBXB
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,12,8,10,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 0110111011 110010101 10101111010 10100010101 1110001110 0011010101 111010101011 101010101 11010101010 1101111101 111000100010 0111010101 1010011111 101010101 101010101110 10101011101 1010000101011 1100010001 1010101010100 11000111 01010100010 1101010101 101001101010 10100110101 10111010010 011111101 101000100011 1010110101 11101011010 01010101 111110101111 11101011101 1110101010 1011110101 001000100011 1010110101 0010010010 1010110101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 411
- Average number of words per stanza: 80
- Amount of lines: 38
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; he, and, of are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
The poet repeated the same word quay at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Old Grey Squirrel;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.