This is an analysis of the poem Cap'N Storm-Along that begins with:
They are buffeting out in the bitter grey weather,
-Blow the man down, bullies, blow the man down!-...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a b cXa XdXeXdcfe g hHgg ahahigig bbgg j X jbdffXXgjg XhHgg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,1,3,9,1,4,8,4,1,1,10,5,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 1101010010110 1011101011 11 100 1010 11011011010 1 100 10011110 0100101111 1 11 1011 110 1111011001 1001001001 1101111001 111011001001 1111101001 111111010110 01111101101 111101001110 0101101101 010110010110 01011011001 110010010010 0111011001 11101001011 1101011001 11101111011 1111011001 110010111010 10111010110 11011110010 1011011011 1 100 0111 10 110 11011001001 0011111010010 1111101001 1111001001 1101111001 11111001111 1111101011
- Amount of stanzas: 11
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 154
- Average number of words per stanza: 29
- Amount of lines: 54
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, his, in are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words in, look are repeated.
The author used the same word look at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word all at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Cap'N Storm-Along;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.