This is an analysis of the poem Babylon that begins with:
Babylon has fallen! Aye; but Babylon endures
Wherever human wisdom shines or human folly lures; ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccdddd cceeccdd Xddd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 10,8,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 1011101110101 01010101110101 110100101110101 0101101110111 0101010010101 11000101010101 110101010101001 01010100110101 01010101110111 10010101011101 1011101110111 01000100010111 00010101011001 01011000110101 10010101100101 10010100111101 10011101100101 01010101110101 01111111110101 11010101101101 101
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 375
- Average number of words per stanza: 68
- Amount of lines: 23
- Average number of symbols per line: 48 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; babylon, and, in are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
The author used the same word babylon at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines babylon is repeated).
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase babylon connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Babylon;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.