This is an analysis of the poem Epitaph On An Army Of Mercenaries that begins with:
These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab bcbc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ottava rima
- Metre: 1001110110 010110101 101101010 11110111 110101010 11110101 110101010 11010111
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 152
- Average number of words per stanza: 25
- Amount of lines: 8
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Epitaph On An Army Of Mercenaries;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Alfred Edward Housman
- Analysis of If Truth In Hearts That Perish
- Analysis of You Smile Upon Your Friend To-Day
- Analysis of Could Man Be Drunk Forever