This is an analysis of the poem A Christmas Hymn that begins with:
IT was the calm and silent night!
Seven hundred years and fifty-three ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcdcdAE afafgbgbAE bhbhXdadAE bcbcijijAE aeXeddddAE
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 10,10,10,10,10,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01011101 101001101 11010101 11110111 11110101 11010101 01010111 11001101 001011 10001 110011101 01000101 010101001 01010101 01010101 01010101 11010101 01010101 001011 10001 01110101 11010101 01010111 11011101 01011111 11110101 11010101 01111111 001011 10001 110100111 11010111 01111111 011100101 11010101 111101110 01110111 111111010 001011 10001 00011101 01011111 11010111 01011101 01111111 000101010 10110111 010101110 001011 10001
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 352
- Average number of words per stanza: 60
- Amount of lines: 50
- Average number of symbols per line: 34 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word the is repeated.
The poet repeated the same word ago at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Christmas Hymn;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.