This is an analysis of the poem My Sister that begins with:
It's ten o'clock at night; in the room in semidarkness
My sister is asleep, hands on her chest;...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabX acXc dddc deca eXfg dXda baea ecdX hdbg afdh bcXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01011100101000 1100011101 010101110101 1001010101110 1100011101 011000010010 0110011100100 001010001010 110100000110 10100101011 1011111101 10101101101 101011110111 0111011010010 10111010010 11010110111011 1100100101 1011010001001 0101110101 010011101010 1101001100001 110111111 1100110110 111001001001011 110101100101 1110101011 110101111 1101010001 110110111010 11110101001 11110011101 111011111 101100001011 10010010111 110100111101 111111010 1111110011 10001101011 111011011 1111010001 10100100111110 100111100100 100111110101 1101011110
- Amount of stanzas: 11
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 189
- Average number of words per stanza: 36
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 47 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; her, of, those, and, that, your, for, she are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word piety is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of My Sister;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.