This is an analysis of the poem The Song Of The Surf that begins with:
White steeds of ocean, that leap with a hollow and wearisome roar
On the bar of ironstone steep, not a fathom's length from the shore,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbbbcc ddeeffgg cchhcXii ddXgccjj
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1101011001011001 1010100110101001 01100111010101101 110101100101001 111100101110101 00101011011000101 1001011011011001 100111101001011 1111111000101100 110011010101011001 011010100100101 10100101010111011 10101101011010110 101101110111010010 11100101011100101 11101001011100100 110010110110101 110010110000101 111011101100101 1010110110111011 101011111101001 1010010110100100 10100101000101101 0100101001100111 1011110111001 1110010111101 1110101111110 1110111111100 1101110100001 1001101101001 11100101011011 10011101011111
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 516
- Average number of words per stanza: 92
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 64 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, of, your, you, for, his, when, on, us, thou are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words you, for, when, on are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Song Of The Surf;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Adam Lindsay Gordon
- Analysis of Wormwood And Nightshade
- Analysis of Whisperings In Wattle-Boughs
- Analysis of The Romance Of Britomarte