This is an analysis of the poem After Our Likeness. that begins with:
Before me now a little picture lies—
A little shadow of a childish face,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abba cddc ecXe fggf ghhg eeee cffc accaiffi feXfXghhg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,8,9,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 0111010101 0101100101 1001100101 0111010111 11011111001 0101011101 1011110011 1101000111 1011011111 1100011001 10111101000 1111011101 0101010101 1101110111 1111110101 1001000101 1101011001 0111101001 01010010001 1101010001 1101010011 10110010000 1111010101 1101110111 1011010101 0100110101 0101001101 1111010101 1011001100 1111010111 1011001101 1101010101 1011000101 1011110111 0101101101 0101010101 1111111101 1110011111 0110101100 0101010001 0111100101 1011011111 0111110101 0101010100
- Amount of stanzas: 10
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 191
- Average number of words per stanza: 35
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; be, its, i, and, face are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word the is repeated.
The author used the same words some, they at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of After Our Likeness.;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.